A picture simply cannot capture how steep this climb was. There were no switchbacks, it was just rocks straight up.
I was expecting a false summit, but not 3! At the top of the second, where we could glimpse the actual summit, I thought for sure that wasn't the peak WE were hiking. I think the exhaustion was going to my head.
Just before we hit the top, we ran into the 11 yearold scout troop from our ward, all 1 of them (with 4 adults, or course)! Of all the mountains, in all the states, in all of New England,. . .
I knew ahead of time that Mount Monadnock was supposedly the 3rd most frequently hiked mountain in the world, but I still didn't expect the crowds at the summit. I guess I should've known something was up when the park rangers were directing the parking like it was a football game. So, we did not stop at the summit, but continued over to the other side, found a hollow to hide in, and ate our lunch, trying not to eavesdrop on the conversations we could easily overhear. It was secluded enough for us to relax, though, and even take a nap, without feeling too on display.
On the hike down, we took the trail with the "easier descent," though I'm not sure how much easier it could've been. We still had to go down the mountain, one way or another. We survived, but with a bad case of jelly legs!
I had hoped that the park would have showers, but it wasn't that fancy. We had to sponge/towel off in a tiny, dirty restroom, and change clothes for dinner. We ate at the Woodbound Inn about 15 minutes from the park. It was pricey, but SOOOOOO delicious. I think Bananas Foster is my new favorite dessert!
We made the commitment when we first got married to do something special for our anniversary every year. With the exception of one year, we've been able to do something besides just go out to dinner. I'm glad we made that commitment because I love having an opportunity every year to focus on us and celebrate how much fun we're having being married.
13 years that's fantastic, we just celebrated our 11th ;)
ReplyDeleteIt goes fast, doesn't it??
ReplyDelete